- 4 red, yellow or green bell peppers
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- Oregano, seasoned pepper and fennel seed [optional]
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can of diced tomatoes or 2 garden tomatoes diced
- 6 ounces of fresh swiss cheese diced
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or romano cheese [optional]
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese [optional]
1) Cook ground sirloin at low to medium heat, stirring often. Once meat is cooked through, drain thoroughly. Add, garlic, seasonings, can of diced tomatoes (drained). Simmer over low heat approximately 20 minutes.
2) Preheat oven to 350°F.
3) Cut off tops of all peppers, remove inner seeds and membranes and wash thoroughly. Fill all peppers with meat mixture, alternating with layers of cheeses. Place peppers into a casserole dish, side by side.
4) Add any remaining mixture around the peppers and sprinkle all remaining feta and parmesan cheeses on top. Add shredded mozzarella cheese if desired for a hint of extra flavor.
5) Bake at 350°F for approximately 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly as desired.
Makes 4 stuffed peppers (or 8 half-peppers.) 5 net grams of carbohydrate per serving and loads of protein!
Financial Tip: For the most cost effective use of the recipe, plant, grow and pick bell peppers and tomatoes from your own garden!
Co-Founder, B.L.O.G Magazine™
The Co-Founder of B.L.O.G Magazine™, Katrina is a simple mid-western girl from the inner city of Indianapolis, In where she is an army wife, army mother. After teaching financial literacy in underserved communities for eight years, she is now the author and workshop facilitator for The Butterfly Movement book, workbook and workshops. She is also a contributing writer for Yahoo! and Red Letter Christians. Her current working projects are pollinating The Butterfly Movement workshops and the production of and upcoming ‘twin’ books Cinderella No More and Independent No More, both due to release simultaneously Spring 2012. You can find her on Facebook and Twitter.